Title:Professor of International Relations
Positions:Director of EUXGLOB Centre
Valentin Naumescu is Professor of International Relations at Babeş-Bolyai University of Cluj, Director of the Center for the Study of the EU’s External Relations and the Global Order (EUXGLOB Center) and founding President of the think tank The Initiative for European Democratic Culture. Professor Naumescu was Secretary of State in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2005-2007) and Consul General of Romania in Toronto (2008-2012). Since 2015, Valentin Naumescu has also been an independent expert/evaluator of the Research Executive Agency of the European Commission in the field of International Relations.
Professor Naumescu got his PhD degree in Political Science in 2000 and he was habilitated in 2015 in supervising PhD theses in International Relations and European Studies.
Areas of interest: international politics, foreign policy, great powers, world order, global and regional security.
- The USA-China War for Supremacy and the Five Driving Forces Who Change the World (Single author, in Romanian, Polirom, 2022, https://www.polirom.ro/web/polirom/carti/-/carte/7698 )
- The New European Union and Its Global Strategy. From Brexit to PESCO (Editor, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2020, https://www.amazon.com/New-European-Union-Global-Strategy/dp/1527540685/ref=sr_1_5?qid=1649868302&refinements=p_27%3AValentin+Naumescu&s=books&sr=1-5 )
- The Great Power Politics in Central and Eastern Europe: 30 Years Since the End of the Cold War (Single author, in Romanian, Humanitas, 2019, https://humanitas.ro/humanitas/carte/politica-marilor-puteri-%C3%AEn-europa-central%C4%83-%C8%99i-de-est )
- The European Union’s Eastern Neighbourhood Today: Politics, Dynamics, Perspectives (co-edited, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2015, https://www.amazon.com/European-Unions-Eastern-Neighbourhood-Today/dp/1443871915/ref=sr_1_6?qid=1649868302&refinements=p_27%3AValentin+Naumescu&s=books&sr=1-6 )
- Democracy and Security in the 21st Century: Perspectives on a Changing World (Editor, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2014, https://www.amazon.com/Democracy-Security-21st-Century-Perspectives/dp/1443856819/ref=sr_1_7?qid=1649868302&refinements=p_27%3AValentin+Naumescu&s=books&sr=1-7 )
- “Stability, Ambiguity and Change in the Discourses of NATO allies in the Black Sea region: The Cases of Romania, Bulgaria and Turkey” (Croatian International Relations Review, XXIII (80) 2017, 187-209, https://cirrj.org/index.php/cirrj/article/view/181/178 )
- “The Post-Brexit EU as a Global Actor: Reconsidering Security” (Romanian Journal of European Affairs, 20, No. 1, June 2020, 21-36, http://rjea.ier.gov.ro/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/RJEA_vol.20_no.1_June-2020_Article-2.pdf )
- “Administrative and Political Perspectives of the EU’s Reform: Focus on Permanent Structured Cooperation” (Transylvanian Review of Administrative Sciences, Special Issue 2018, pp. 60-74, https://rtsa.ro/tras/index.php/tras/article/view/580/566 )